Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Butter vs. Margarine--Which Side Are You On?

There are definitely two types of healthy eaters: Those in the all-natural, nothing-artificial, a-little-butter-isn't-going-to-kill-me camp, and those who love their margarine because it's lower in fat, especially saturated fat. What side are you on?


But, really--which is healthier, butter or margarine? It's a subject health experts find themselves commenting on a lot. Butter gets blamed for saturated fat, margarine gets blamed for trans fat and artificial ingredients (though there are many healthier, trans-fat-free margarine products on the market these days).


So which is better?


One Mayo Clinic expert says that margarine is better for heart health. Because it is most often made from vegetable oils, it has little or no cholesterol.


But, according to the experts at Harvard Health Publications, a little butter isn't the end of the world--and it may be a lot better for you than the trans-fat laden stick margarines out there. Still, they say, if you want an even healthier choice to dip your bread in, choose olive oil.


As far as I'm concerned, I don't have a problem with a little butter in my life--especially when I'm baking. (Yes, I fall in the all-natural camp.) I always choose olive oil when it makes sense, but I just don't care for the flavor of margarine--even the healthier varieties. (P.S. Ever tried fruit "butter"? Here's a yummy jar I like.)


How about you? Are you a butter or margarine kind of gal?

0 comments:

Post a Comment