Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Breakfast at Your Desk: The Epiphany About Breakfast That Can Benefit Your Health--Today

I was chatting with a friend recently about an International vacay she just got back from, and I realized something that made me think "huh--America has it so wrong when it comes to breakfast" ...


Here's the deal: In many countries of the world--especially in Asia--the first meal of the day is not sweet or heavy. Contrast that to traditional American morning meals:


*Cereal, pastries, muffins = sweet


*Eggs, bacon, ham, biscuits, hash browns = heavy


While there's nothing wrong with eating tasty food and a substantial meal in the mornings, it's interesting to note that most countries of the world don't even go for sweets in the morning. (Just think of the built-in boost of energy when 10 a.m. hits and they don't have a low blood sugar moment.) Instead, they eat light, veggie-based, savory meals--like miso soup and rice in Japan.


I'm not saying that you should give up your bowl of cereal just yet (I'm not), but I do think it's interesting to compare our country's breakfast trends to other nations'. Maybe we can learn something?


Someone told me that in certain parts of Asia, they start their day with a salad. I'm not sure I could do salad at 7 a.m. You?


International travelers--what are some interesting things you've eaten for breakfast abroad?

0 comments:

Post a Comment