Tuesday, June 26, 2012

True Health Confession: "I Had Reconstructive Surgery--On My Vagina"

Of all the places to get work done--boobs, eyes, nose, even back-fat removal, which we've talked about--one woman is opening up about the reconstructive surgery she had ... on her vagina.


****


"Sara," a guest blogger over at MomLogic, recently wrote about her unusual story: "I just recently picked up a new vagina," she wrote. "It's brand new, shiny, and never been tested by man. You think I'm kidding, but its true: One week ago today, along with other repair surgeries, I had a vaginal reconstruction. I'm 37, but in more ways than one I feel like a new woman, a virtual born-again virgin."


Before you jump to conclusions, Sara's surgery was the result of vaginal trauma during the birth of her baby. Here's how she described it: "First, I will establish for you that I did not do this 'vaginal rejuvenation' as a cosmetic option. I'm not a celebrity millionaire and if I had money to fix an area, there are many other baggy organs urgently pushing themselves to the top of my surgical waiting list. My injuries were due to an emergency forceps birth, which caused significant muscle damage eight years ago. So, the need to be rebuilt, along with receiving a supportive bladder sling apparatus, was of medical necessity." She goes on to write about how the surgery has improved her sex life in this post.


My reaction: It's a little unsettling to read about a traumatic birth that left this woman with such damage--poor thing (and, in case this frightens you a little about pregnancy--don't let it--this is rare)! And yet, it's wonderful that we have the medical resources nowadays to patch us up when a birth experience goes haywire.


Tell me: What have you heard about vaginal reconstructions? And what about surgeries for cosmetic reasons: What do you think of those?

0 comments:

Post a Comment