Monday, April 9, 2012

Can a vegetarian diet cut cancer risks?

Last night I had one of the most amazing meals of my life at Restaurant Daniel here in New York: Pressed duck, a classic French dish that--not to get too graphic--consists of roast duck, duck blood, and whatever juices you get after pressing the duck carcass in a wine-press like device. It was amazing. This morning I awoke to news of a 12-year study of 60,000 people in the UK and New Zealand that suggests that eating a vegetarian diet may help cut your cancer risk. Am I ready to give up the gory carnivorous pleasures of pressed duck and other meaty delights? I don't think so. But I do support the flexitarian cause, i.e., eating meat only occasionally and making the most of it when I do. If you're ready to take the vegetarian (or flexitarian) plunge, here's a three-step plan:


1. Resolve to eat more veggies. Check out these simple summer vegetable recipes that burst with flavor.


2. Visit one of the new breed of modern vegetarian restaurants


3. Have friends over for this amazing no-tofu-allowed vegetarian feast

0 comments:

Post a Comment